Who can apply?
The Co-Op and Condo Board of Directors of new developments or their Managing Agents must file an Abatement application on behalf of the entire development.
The Abatement is available to all eligible residential Co-Op and dwelling Condo units, with the exception of units owned by sponsors, or by persons who own more than three dwelling units in the development. Unit used for non-residential purposes are also ineligible.

When to apply?
Building Abatement Applications must be filed by Co-Op and Condo Board of Directors or their Managing Agents by February 15th. The benefits will then begin July 1st of the same year.

What is the effective date of information?
All information provided on the tax Abatement application must be accurate as of January 5th, for their portion of the benefit only after the entire building is approved.

Who is responsible for new owner filing?
The Managing Agent or Board of Directors is responsible for sending new owner information to Finance. New owner must notify their Managing Agent or Board of Directors after purchasing their unit. They must provide them with the following information: new owner's name, new owner's social security number, previous owner's name, amount paid for the unit, and the date of sale.

Who receives the partial Abatement for Co-Ops?
The partial tax Abatement for Co-Ops will be applied to the entire development's property tax bill. This bill is called the Statement of Account (SOA). Finance will notify the Co-Op's Managing Agent or Board of Directors about the amount of benefit to be credited to each eligible unit.

When will eligible units receive the abatement for the current tax year?
If the Condo/Co-Op Property Tax Abatement application is received by February 15th, Finance will credit the sum of all abatements and exemptions for eligible Co-Op units against the development's SOA, effective July 1st. In the fall, each development will receive a listing of benefits attributable to each unit.

My neighbor and I purchased our units on the same day-Why did they receive a tax abatement and I didn't?
Unit eligibility is determined by the prior owner's Abatement status as of January 5th for the tax year beginning July 1st. Therefore, if the unit you purchased was ineligible for the Abatement at the time of purchase, you were not eligible to receive the abatement.

My Managing Agent applied a special assessment to our Co-Op and kept the tax abatement. Are they allowed to do so?
Finance has no say in how benefits are applied. The Co-Op/Condo Property Tax Abatement must be credited to each eligible unit. However, for example, if the Managing Agent made an assessment of $1,000 to offset fuel expenses on all units, the Co-Op Board is within its right to reduce, or partially offset, the tax abatement for an eligible unit.

Can I have STAR benefits for more than one home?
No. Only the one home that is your primary residence is eligible.

Do I need to reapply every year if there are no changes?
-Basic STAR: No. Finance will check your income yerly with the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance to make sure your combined household income (owners residing at the property) is less than $500,000.
-Enhanced STAR: If you also have the Senior Citizen Homeowner Exemption, Finance will mail a renewal form every two years. Finance will check your income yearly with the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance to make sure your combined household income is less than $79,050.

When Should I reapply?
-If you move to a new primary residence.
-Any change to the deed can automatically result in loss of benefits. You are advised to contact Finance if this occurs.
-If you have Basic STAR and you believe you are now eligible for Enhanced STAR.

Mail your completed application by March 15th to :
(If deadline falls on a weekend, due date is the next business day)
NYC Department of Finance
STAR Exemption
PO Box 311
Maplewood, NJ 07040-0311

Currently there are two agencies dealing with housing discrimination: Division of Human Rights and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

When you file a complaint with the Division, you are charging a violation of New York State Law. http://www.dhr.ny.gov/how_to_file_a_complaint.html That is a State agency mandated to receive, investigate and resolve complaints of discrimination under N.Y. Executive Law, Article 15 (“Human Rights Law”). The Division’s role is to fairly and thoroughly investigate the allegations in light of all evidence gathered. The Division of Human Rights has an agreement with HUD for the parallel filing of complaints under federal law.


One Fordham Plaza, Fourth Floor
Bronx, New York 10458
Phone: 718.741.8400
Fax: 718.741.8166

There may also be a violation of federal fair housing laws. HUD protects your rights under federal law.  You can file your complaint on line. http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/housing_discrimination

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
New York and New Jersey Office
26 Federal Plaza
New York, NY 10278
Phone: 212.542.7507
Fax: 212.264.9829

The Board of Directors elected Douglas Elliman Property Management (DEPM) as a managing company/agent of Trump Village Section 4 on May 3rd, 2012.

As a Shareholder, you are one of the Trump Village 4 owners, and do not feel shy to make a complaint. You are not the only one. As a Shareholder in good standing your real goal is to make sure that our complex is well managed accordingly.

Please, send your complaints to Lawrence R. Vitelli at Lawrence.vitelli@ellimanpm.com or call 212.350.2845(accounting office), fax 646.843.2600.

Henry A. Dubro (TV4 General Manager from Douglas Elliman): 347.539.6580 henry.dubro@ellimanpm.com
Matthew C. Pilato (Assistant Manager): 718.946.4800 ext. 305 matthew.pilato@ellimanpm.com

TV4 accountant, Alex Greenberg: 212.692.8465

Co-Ops are housing units owned by a corporation. When you buy a Co-op apartment, you purchase or otherwise acquire the shares of capital stock of the corporation that owns the apartment building.  That is why you are called a “Stockholder” or a “Shareholder”. The corporation then “leases” the coop to the buyer under a long-term proprietary lease.  Coop owners pay monthly maintenance to the building corporation for items such as the expenses of maintaining and operating the building property, property taxes and the underlying mortgage on the building (if any).

When you buy a Condo, you buy an individual parcel of real property, like a house or townhouse. In general terms a condominium is a property where there are units with individual title and financing as well as common areas which are owned by the condo association. All unit owners are members of the Condo association and have a right to use common areas

With a Co-Op it’s possible to be foreclosed or bankrupted if bills aren’t paid. The Co-op/corporation actually owns and has title to the individual units, cooperators could lose both the value of their shares in the Co-Op as well as all rights to their unit. In effect, they could become renters — if allowed to stay.

First of all, you should immediately notify our TV4 management when you have bedbugs. Secondly, make sure that you keep all your records (a written letter to the Co-Op management, pictures, etc.)

The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) lists bedbugs as a Class B violation, which means that they are considered hazardous and that the landlord has 30 days to correct the problem. The landlord must eradicate the infestation and keep the affected units from getting reinfested. If your management/landlord refuses to take the necessary steps, you can file a complaint with the city department of Housing Preservation and Development (call 311).

According to SUBCHAPTER 2 MAINTENANCE, SERVICES, AND UTILITIES ARTICLE 4 Extermination and Rodent Eradication:

Sec. 27-2017Definitions When used in this article:

a. Eradication means the elimination of rodents or insects and other pests from any premises through the use of traps, poisons, fumigation or any other method of extermination.

• Insects and other pests include the members of class insecta, including houseflies, lice, bees, cockroaches, moths, silverfish, beetles, BEDBUGS, ants, termites, hornets, mosquitoes and wasps, and such members of the phylum arthropoda as spiders, mites, ticks, centipedes and wood lice.

• Harborage means any condition which provides shelter or protection for rodents or insects and other pests.

Sec. 27-2018 Rodent and insect eradication; mandatory extermination

a. The owner or occupant in control of a dwelling shall keep the premises free from rodents, and from infestations of insects and other pests, and from any condition conducive to rodent or insect and other pest life.

• When any premises are subject to infestation by rodents or insects and other pests, the owner or occupant in control shall apply continuous eradication measures.

• When the department makes the determination that any premises are infested by rodents, insects or other pests, it may order such eradication measures as the department deems necessary.”


NYC Adults Protective Services (APS) is a state-mandated case management program that arranges for services and support for physically and/or mentally impaired adults who are at risk of harm.

APS is available to persons 18 years of age and older without regard to income, who:
• Are mentally and/or physically impaired; and
• Due to these impairments, are unable to manage their own resources, carry out the activities of daily living, or protect themselves from abuse, neglect, exploitation or other hazardous situations without assistance from others; and
• Have no one available who is willing and able to assist them responsibly.

One out of every 14 Americans over the age of 60 may be suffering from some sort of abuse. PSA clients are among the most debilitated and neglected members of the community: the frail elderly, the mentally ill, the mentally retarded and the abused and exploited.

To report adult abuse, call (within New York State only): 1-800-342-3009 (Press Option 6)

Central Intake Office: 212-630-1853

APS Brooklyn Borough Office 718-722-4830/718-722-4812

HRA Adult Protective Services

NYS Office of Children and Family Services

Cooperative Community Organization
PO Box 300986
Brooklyn, NY 11230

"For information about our activities, changes in laws and other matters, please provide your e-mail address.

If you want us to include something in the web site, please provide your name, address, e-mail, telephone number and send documents to our address.

If you want to help us, please include your name, e-mail and telephone number.

If you want to comment, please include your e-mail and "Your comments".

We apologize if you tried to contact us using an input form. Please be aware that we are all volunteers and our "webmaster" is someone who works with databases and is not an Internet professional. If you are an Internet professional and would like to help us with the web site, please let us know.

Thank you."

South Brooklyn Legal Services provides free legal help in civil cases to low-income Brooklyn residents. Assistance includes legal advice and referral, representation in court and before administrative agencies, and help with community development and education projects. They do legislative and administrative advocacy subject to certain restrictions. They negotiate with landlords about broken refrigerators and argue appeals in high courts.

In order to receive help from South Brooklyn Legal Services, you must also meet income eligibility guidelines. Some people are eligible for help even if their income is over the limits because they have special problems such as high medical bills or debts. SBLS is also sometimes able to take cases for which funders have set higher eligibility guidelines.

SBLS provides legal advice and representation to tenants with a wide range of housing problems, including non-payment and holdover evictions cases, illegal evictions, and bad conditions. They work with tenants in public housing and receiving Section 8 benefits as well as those in private housing. They represent groups and tenants with disabilities, military personnel and veterans.

South Brooklyn Legal Services
105 Court Street, 4th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
718-237-5500 (Phone)
718-855-0733 (Fax)

If you are a US Army vet or a Soldier, please call to the Veterans Justice Project at (347)592-2409 and leave a message to them, explaining your issue. They will call you back.

Visit 311 Online if you are concerned about the operation of an elevator. Dial 911 for life-threatening emergencies.

Elevator Safety

• Look down and make sure the elevator is level with the floor while entering and exiting.
• Do not exit the elevator if it stops more than 9 inches from the landing.
• Press the "door open" button to hold closing elevator doors instead of using any part of your body.
• Never lean on elevator doors.
• Keep clothing items like ties and scarves clear of closing elevator doors.
• Be patient and don’t crowd the elevator. Too many people crowded into elevators can cause it to get stuck.
• Avoid jumping which can make an elevator uneven with the floor. You can also get stuck.

Three rules if you get stuck in an elevator:

1. Ring the alarm or call TV4 security desk at 718.373.5135.
2. Relax because help is on the way.
3. Wait without prying open the doors.

In an Emergency:

• Never use an elevator in the event of a fire.
• If elevator gets stuck, remain calm and wait for help.
• Never attempt to pry the elevator doors open.
• Use the emergency call button.
• Follow the instructions from the building management.
• Never attempt to exit a stalled elevator without the help of the building management or emergency responder (e.g. Police, Fire Rescue).
• Move to the rear center of the elevator and face the doors while waiting for help.

How to stay safe:

• Don’t crowd the elevator. It can get stuck if too many people are in it.
• Don’t hold or force open the doors. It’s dangerous.
• Don’t jump in the elevator. Jumping can make the elevator and floor uneven. You can also get stuck.
• Don’t play with the emergency stop button. It’s not a toy.

On March 13, 2008, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg signed Local Law No. 7 of 2008, amending the Administrative Code of the City of New York, expanding the jurisdiction of the Housing Court to include allegation of tenant (cooperator) harassment. New York City's Tenant Protection Act prohibits owners/landlords (co-ops) from using force or making threats, including repeated or prolonged interruptions of essential services, intended to disturb a lawful occupant’s residence. The law made harassment a housing code violation and allowed a judge to impose civil penalties of $1,000 to $5,000.

Some of the actions that qualify as harassment under this legislation include: using force or making threats against a lawful occupant, repeated or prolonged interruptions of essential services, using frivolous court proceedings to disrupt a tenant’s life or force an eviction, removing the possessions of a lawful tenant, removing doors or damaging locks to a unit, or any other acts designed to disturb a lawful occupant’s residence. The law also prevents similar actions by third parties working on the landlord’s behalf.

The tenant may seek redress in the Housing Court. The Housing Court can then issue an order for the Landlord (Co-op) to show cause in the Housing Court. The Court then has the jurisdiction to determine whether the violation exists, and to direct the Landlord to correct the violation is not corrected; the court can then impose civil penalties. The tenant may also assert a claim for harassment as a counterclaim or defense to a landlord-initiated summary proceeding. Landlords may also qualify for a reimbursement of attorney’s fees if a claim is deemed to be frivolous.

According to Hon. John S. Landsden (Supervising Judge of Housing Court Kings County), there is no language in the T.P.A. of 2008 that prevents a Shareholder from commensing a harassment proceeding against the co-op.

Hon. Fern A. Fisher (Deputy Chief Administrative Judge) states that "...the clerks in NYC Civil Court have been reminded that CPLR 2102(c) directs that the clerk shall not refuse papers. In instances where a claim for harassment is filed in Housing Court and the Tenant Protection Act and/or other statute limit or exclude a person from filing such an action, a Judge is responsible for reviewing the application and approving or declining the same".

TV4 Management Office:
"Pride in the work itself is the key to motivating peak-performing employees"